Sunday, February 6, 2011

Appeasing the ancestors

I finally finished! This quilt has an interesting story. Back in 1932 my great grandmother gave her son and new daughter-in-law (my mom's mom) a quilt top she had sewn as a wedding present. Well, that quilt was never finished--which is kinda funny! My mom gave me the quilt top about a year-and-a-half ago and I finally finished putting it together! I didn't even want to work on it out of fear of "ruining" what she had put together if I didn't do a great job with the quilting part. I gave myself a little pep talk and realized it was never going to get finished if I didn't get off my butt! The pattern is sometimes called "schoolgirl's puzzle" and oddly enough, sometimes called "old maid's puzzle". I love the 1930's novelty fabrics she used.

Anywhoo, finishing the quilt somehow makes me feel more connected to those women I never had the opportunity to know (my mom's mom died before I was born). Besides, who wants to be haunted by a quilter for not finishing the job?

No comments:

Post a Comment